Saturday, July 25, 2009

Swine 09, What a Fine Time

I'm about to go gonzo journalist all up in this.

So you know how I was joking about swine flu?


Guess what? Three of us have tested positive for it. The announcement was given today, after a talent show and pizza dinner amongst all of the teachers. As you can imagine, the atmosphere in the room went from positive to almost completely downcast. About the only thing that has remained the same is my fellow teachers' solidarity. Everyone is concerned about everyone who is sick, saddened that we probably will not be able to teach the first camp, and a little pissed off at the lack of answers we have been getting. I cannot fault the Korean staff or the American head teachers; all have been great advocates for us. But we've been stuck quarantined on an island in a moldy building going through construction with only each other for company. Some of us have mold allergies or sicknesses agitated by the poor state of the facilities here, so another week of quarantine here is an absolutely foul idea, in my mind.



Since I have had cold symptoms, I've had to move rooms with a girl with similar symptoms. I've been feeling much better today, and with another night of sleep, I think I'll be fully recovered. If I have swine flu, I would easily be treated as well. I am not worried about my health. I'm not exactly pleased with the state of my room, though. It's completely covered with black mold. Not exactly the best place for two people with cold symptoms.

No one is sure what will happen next. A meeting will be held tomorrow to figure out what our options are. I am hoping that if we are further quarantined, which will probably be the case, we will be moved out of this building and into nicer facilities. Some people just want to leave and give up, but I honestly feel robbed of a great cultural experience. I was so excited to learn about Korean people and culture and am worried that if this excursion ends prematurely I am going to be left with a bitter, ugly, and incomplete picture of Korea.

I will update you all as soon as I know more.

Update, 12:43 a.m.: I changed rooms. No more mold!

4 comments:

  1. Man, that sucks. I hope you don't get any sicker than just the cold. D: All I know is that it can be cured if you have the right stuff since the people who caught it over in the US got better (except for the old old people and the young young people, and the folks with really weak immune systems.) I wouldn't want to see you get that sick, that's for sure, and especially because you wouldn't get to do the program and I know how much you wanted to do that. D: It just sucks that the timing is so bad with all this flu crap going on right now...blah. I hope everything gets better for you and you can still go on to do the teaching program!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat. D:

    That really sucks the first program got cancelled. Hopefully things are going to get better! Be safe and stay healthy! <333

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, Dad here. Do the administrators at Mizzou knoww what is going on? Should we assume the teachers caught the swine flu on the airplane? I can't believe they put you in a mold infested room? Were you feeling sick before that? I would like some answers soon. Hang in there!!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a reporter with the Columbia Missourian and have been writing about swine flu this summer. If anyone (parents, friends, or students currently in Korea) has any information on the situation could contact me, it would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail is EmilyDavid88@gmail.com. I hope that everyone involved recovers so they can continue with their plans.

    -Emily David
    Reporter, Columbia Missourian
    EmilyDavid88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete