Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'll make it rain...ism.


Today was the day of shopping before the trip, which is always the worst. Don't get me wrong, I love shopping. But I prefer to do it for things I don't need, unfortunately. Things I need to survive in Korea (or at least to survive with working electronics) are no fun to buy at all, and they're so expensive. Electric power adaptors, voltage converters, lithium batteries, a new pair of plain flats, an SD card reader, and about $100 gone all before I've left the country. Ouch.

Hopefully I'll be ready to leave for Korea by Saturday morning, but there's still so much more to do.


Korea is this mysterious place for me, a place where my knowledge of their culture is unfortunately rather limited to what I've seen in Korean dramas. When I was a freshman at MU, my friends and I inadvertently stumbled upon Korean shows such as My Name is Kim Sam Soon and Full House. We were slowly addicted to these mind-numbing stories that built up to a dramatic cliffhanger at the end, complete with a freeze-frame and heart tugging anthem we lovingly dubbed the "Oh-shit-music." "Oh Sam Soon," we'd squeal, "Sam Shik needs to forget about his ex-girlfriend and realize he's in love with you." Through the lens of dramas we were introduced to two Korean staples: kimchi and the pop singer known as Rain.



A friend of mine became pretty obsessed with Rain, and I'm sure you see why. Good dance moves, extremely handsome, and in his own words, he's "felt the unbreakable limit of body shake."

With poetry like that, it's no wonder that even Megan Fox wants to date him.



Jealous?

Hopefully I'll be able to attend a pop concert in Korea. Even though Rain won't be on tour, I'd love to see one of the country's many boy bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment