Monday, July 27, 2009

Here by the sea and sand, nothing ever goes as planned.

Here's an update on our status.


  • Last night I got my swine flu test results back, and I am negative. Unfortunately, the other two who were tested were positive.
  • Today a group of workers were dispatched to clean all of our rooms and wipe down any visible mold with bleach, which should help a lot.
  • Construction on the building has stopped, and all the trash in the back should be gone by tomorrow.
  • We are all starting Tamiflu tonight. Tamiflu won't prevent swine flu, but for those who have it and haven't shown symptoms, it will help fight the virus quicker. Most of us have decided to take Tamiflu, and we all will be tested for swine flu in five days. Those who pass the test will be able to move on! This is incredibly exciting to us, because we thought we could be quarantined indefinitely until seven days after the last confirmed case of swine flu.
  • After the quarantine, we will be given the choice to go back home early. Our first camp is cancelled, our second is probably cancelled, and after the quarantine our group will be touring Korea for a period of time. Which sounds great, except if someone starts showing signs of swine flu again, rumor has it we may have to start over.
  • We will be getting compensated for the first camp, and our two representatives are working to make sure we get compensation for the second as well.
  • We have contacted the U.S. Embassy and have someone working on our case. She's making sure most of our requests are met and has been sending daily updates.

Personally, I've taken the Tamiflu in the hopes that I can get the heck out of here quicker. I am in needing of urban comfort and excursions that aren't athletic in nature. Please, can I go see some art or palaces or go shopping or something? This post needs something fun, so how about a song from King Crimson? Oh, and I realized I had two emails from my host family around the time I was sick, warning me to take care of my health. My host father's email was in English, for some reason, and made absolutely no sense whatsoever. However, it did show me something that's waiting for me at their house:
More Dragonball Z merchandise? Just what I needed!

I sent an email to them telling them that I had been sick and that we are currently quarantined for swine flu, so plans might change. I'm hoping this doesn't completely freak out my host mother, who is a nurse and who's already worried about my health on account of "Korea being so much different than Japan."

2 comments:

  1. Gah. D: I hope things get better over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL your host parents are so awesome. They buy you cute stuff. @___@;

    and lol at the "Korea being so much different than Japan" thing. For some reason I can picture a middle aged Japanese woman at home saying this, but with a subtitle because I can't remember any of my Japanese, lols.

    ReplyDelete