Sunday, August 2, 2009

This Quarantine is Over

If you would have asked me ahead of time what quarantine was like, my answer definitely would not have been middle school. And yet, somehow, that's almost exactly what this feels like.

Don't get me wrong, the other teachers are all very nice. But there have been some things happening lately that I really hoped I would have left behind in the U.S.



Last night we had a formal dance, complete with superlatives (I somehow won Best Dressed and not Most Sarcastic). We all paid about the Korean equivalent of $2 to drink a couple glasses of cheap Korean beer and soju. Well, I should say almost everyone. Some people, who are allowed the privilege of going to town with the Korean staff to pick up supplies, get to buy their own alcohol for themselves. Once the alcohol was finished and only a couple people were drinking, I went to bed. I figured that no matter where the night was headed, watching a bunch of drunk people was not going to be the entertainment I wanted. The night before, the same group of drunk people with the private stash ended the night singing a rousing rendition of "Living on a Prayer," or as they referred to it, "Living on My Wiener." When you witness that sober, you realize you can only take so much.

Unfortunately, after I left, people brought out more beer.

And then even later than that, the group of people with the stash were so intoxicated that they blew off fireworks in the hallway of the dorms. And I'm not talking about firecrackers. I woke up thinking that they must be outside blowing them off. Because no matter how drunk someone is, who is that stupid? Apparently I've just never been that drunk.

I personally like to drink. I don't get out of control when I drink, but I think a little excess once in a while is a good thing, especially as a celebration. But most of the time, I feel like a bystander. Watching a bunch of drunk people, especially those who can't seem to control their actions, is not what I came to Korea to see. And I just don't think it's fair that only a select few of us even have the option of partying to that extent.

And of course, I don't want to ignore that if anyone had been hurt by the fireworks, it could have really reflected badly on the Korean staff. As much as we've talked about the importance of respect in Korean culture and helping those around you "save face," I couldn't believe that the people involved would have done something that could have made their Korean friends embarrassed.

Oh well, it's over. We're addressing it at the meeting tonight (since a couple of people involved didn't show up to the morning meeting), and hopefully something is done to clear the air.

Yesterday wasn't all that bad, though. Jessica and I finally went to the arboretum and for the first time were surrounded by Korean people. Korean people in Korea? It's crazy, I know.

It was a weird feeling. In Japan, I could at least understand when people were talking about me and the basics of what they were saying. Here, I feel as if I stick out like a sore thumb without even the knowledge of the language to protect me and give me power. It's a little humbling.

There was a lot of buildings around with exhibits on bugs and plantlife native to Wando, but I actually preferred being outside and watching the people.

Little cultural things never fail to amuse me. Did you know that you're not supposed to take out, but not dump the "gaberage?"



Now you know.

Definitely the biggest adventure was going into a small convenience store. The Korean lady in charge had no qualms about getting in our personal space to welcome us and to show us how wooden, rolling-pin-like massagers worked. We saw a most excellent bottle of alcohol:



I tried to take a photo of the label that wasn't blurry or had strange reflections and ultimately failed. It reads, "I waited for you for a thousand year." That's how devoted this alcohol is. Still, no matter how many year went by, it still looks amazingly smooth.

Jess and I picked out a couple of the most adorable, childish drinks, paid the confused cashier, and sat outside to people watch. A couple about my age made ramen together, an old man finished his coffee and cautioned us against using the machine since we didn't have a cup, and Jess and I realized that all Korean people wear hats with huge brims on sunny days. Pale skin is still seen as very beautiful and desirable. Poor me and my olive skin; I don't have a chance!

There's not really much to say about a beautiful place that images can't express for you:







Tomorrow we're leaving Wando and are heading to Damyang. On the way, we're taking a cultural tour! Tomorrow will be a visit to a tea farm, a folk village, and even a stop for shopping. Finally! Let me be a consumer again! Let me take a photo of something that isn't all green and blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment