Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Continental Drift

So I'm going to be boarding my flight back home in about an hour or so.

The whole experience seems a little unreal. After all, in a month, I've come to Korea, taught elementary school students, was quarantined by the Korean government, and visited some of the country's most rural, urban, and exotic places. And then I went back to Japan, met up with my host family and a good friend, and visited a couple new places.

So many new experiences. Not all of them were fun, but none of them were bad. If anything, I've learned so much about myself in the small space I've had to think.

I wish there was more time to see more, meet more people, go out more, shop more, write more, take more pictures. My month of experiences is full, but woefully inadequate.

A week back at home is fine. Then, give me a plane ticket back, and let me plan the trip. Let me bring my people and adventure around. Oh, I can only dream!



I'm hoping in the next month to retroactively blog about the experience, including these subjects:
  • My experiences in Korea vs. Japan, and why it's unfair to compare them
  • Korean hospitality and drinking customs
  • Teaching in Jeollanam-do, a candid, realistic look at what happened and what to expect
  • My elementary school students and camp life at Damyang
  • The tour we took at Jeju Island, including the personal stop I took at Jeju Love Land
  • Seoul, or at least the little bit I saw of it
  • Gujo Hachiman and Bon Odori
  • Swimming with dolphins
  • Japanese fireworks
  • Reuniting with host family and friends


And I'm sure there will be even more besides that.

It's hard to explain how I'm feeling right now without a long, long explanation about what's happened, what I've learned about myself, and what I want in the future. I am happy I made the decision to come here; I've been able to meet some wonderful people and have experienced a truly beautiful, friendly culture here in Korea.

Unfortunately, I was only here for a short time and was in a large group of Americans. A lot of time I felt like I had little autonomy over what was happening, where I was going, what I was seeing, and so on. I didn't understand a lot of the decisions that were made for me, and I learned that questioning the status quo was only going to get me into trouble. Because of this, I feel like I was never really allowed to immerse myself in Korea's culture. The times where I had the power to do and see what I wanted were limited. Everything in the program kept me at arm's length from engaging in Korean culture with native citizens, and I am so thankful for the Korean people who reached out beyond this barrier and truly welcomed me with everything they had, whether it was kind words, help finding a location, or free food and drinks.

I was so surprised to realize how much I loved teaching and how much I grew to love my homeroom. After this, I would feel much more comfortable applying to teach someplace in Asia. But could I do another short, government-controlled program with a large group of Americans? I'm not sure. I think I'd rather make it a longer stay independent of the herd, one where I can learn at my own pace as well as teach.

Am I ready to go home? I guess about as ready as I'll ever be. I am so tired; mentally and physically I really haven't had any sort of a break. Yet I'm unsatisfied leaving so much unfinished, as I always am. It's as if I've been reading a novel and was told to stop right before the climax! Hopefully the near future has more adventures abroad in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment